8. rosiedarling89 (602)
  9. pointman (600)
  10. repfluger (501)

Forums >> Texas Hunting >> General Hunting >> 30-06 VS .270

30-06 VS .270

nolanspawn
nolanspawn
nolanspawn writes about 30-06 VS .270

I have owned and hunted with a 30-06 for about the last 10 years. Well its time I need a new gun, my old one is a very old gun I inherited from my grandfather. Its VERY heavy and bulky. I am looking into getting a Browning A-bolt White Gold Medallion with a Leupold VX-L low profile scope. Now my questions comes down to if I want to stick with the 30-06 or go to a .270. I had read somewhere that the casing between the two is the same size, its just a difference in bullet size. Not sure if this is true or not, and I cant find a visual comparison anywhere on the internet. If anyone has any insight, please give it id appreciate it. One big thing I like about the 30-06 is the reach of it, however the damage from the bullet sometimes is too much for whitetail. Josh

Google Adsense 728x90 Leaderboard

RE: 30-06 VS .270

duckwhacker
duckwhacker
duckwhacker writes about duckwhacker writes about duckwhacker writes about duckwhacker writes about duckwhacker writes about duckwhacker writes about duckwhacker writes about duckwhacker writes about duckwhacker writes about duckwhacker writes about
Palo Pinto county

A lot of my friends swear by the .270. I grew up with grandfathers and older friends that only shot the .30-06, but I grew up in the southeast. I shoot a 7mm Mag.

Good luck with your decision.

Keep yer eyes peeled!

nolanspawn
nolanspawn
nolanspawn writes about

The shots on my property are about a 300 yard max. 90% of the shots are 150 yards or less.

duckwhacker
duckwhacker
duckwhacker writes about duckwhacker writes about duckwhacker writes about duckwhacker writes about duckwhacker writes about duckwhacker writes about duckwhacker writes about duckwhacker writes about duckwhacker writes about duckwhacker writes about
Palo Pinto county

I think the .270 holds pretty flat out to 300. You would have to check a ballistic chart.

Keep yer eyes peeled!

BigGuy

BigGuy writes about

The 270 is a 30-06 necked down to 27 caliber. The only real advantage to a 30-06 is if you wanted to hunt larger game (elk, moose, bears, etc.) the 30-06 can shoot 200-220 grain bullets while the 270 will be limited to 150-160 grain bullets. A 30-06 150 grain load will kick about the same as a 140 grain 270 load and does about the same amount of damage to anything it hits.

Bottomline, either one will get the job done on whitetails but if you think you will ever want to hunt something bigger a 30-06 is pretty hard to beat.

Good Luck and Good Hunting

nolanspawn
nolanspawn
nolanspawn writes about

I cant say for sure if Ill ever hunt bigger game. I never have so thats probably why it doesn't really seem too appealing to me. I used 180 grain 30-06 for as long as I can remember. Thanks guys for all the feedback. I knew this would be the place to ask.

john64n
john64n
john64n writes about

I TO HAVE USED A 3006 RIFLE FOR DEER HUNTING FOR A LONG TIME. BUT MY WIFE GOT ME A NEW MOSSBERG 270 100ATR TWO YEASR AGO, AND I USED IT THIS PAST DEER SEASON AND I LOVE IT. ALSO THE PRICE IS JUST RIGHT. HERE ARE SOME PIC'S.

• 30-06 VS .270

nolanspawn
nolanspawn
nolanspawn writes about

Nice gun. I think I am getting more and more sold on the .270. This is the gun I am getting

• 30-06 VS .270

joshhern
joshhern
joshhern writes about joshhern writes about joshhern writes about

.30-06.. you may want to take down some mullies or axis deer some day, like paul says above, you have some options with this gun. Lots of axis in the hill country, just walking around, and the big bucks are sometimes hard to drop with a body shot.  I have two winchester model 700 bdl, one 270 and one .30-06.  the 270 definetly offers flatter trajectory to 200 yards, but the 06 gives more punch with a 170 gr load, with several higher options.  if you hunt only whitetail, the 270 is a fine choice.  My next purchase will in 300 winmag, I borrowed one from my uncle and had great results.  that is a neat looking leupold scope in your scope, bottom of the scope rounded concave downwards.  any performance benefit with this low profile?

Out Enjoying That Great Texas Countryside

nolanspawn
nolanspawn
nolanspawn writes about

They say its for people who like higher power large objective scopes like I do. It gives you a better cheek to stock weld. One thing I have noticed with my Simmons 6.5 - 20 X 50 is that the scope sits really high off the gun because of its larger size. With that concave design it allows you to have the scope sit lower for a more natural comfortable feel. http://www.leupold.com/products/vx-l/main.html

SUPERG
SUPERG
SUPERG writes about SUPERG writes about SUPERG writes about SUPERG writes about SUPERG writes about SUPERG writes about SUPERG writes about

Josh, I would probably be one of the few on here to say this but I stand firmly by the .270 to hunt all medium game in North America. I would not hunt Brown bears or moose with it as they are large game, but I wouldn't hesitate to hunt Whitetail, Mule deer, Elk, Black bear, hogs, Blackbuck, Pronghorn antelope, any of the sheep or goats, or Axis deer. It all boils down to the ammunition you choose and of course shot placement. I only currently shoot two types of ammo. Hornady 140gr boat tail spire points and Federal premium "Vital-shock" 150gr boat tail spire points. The .270's ballistics is comparable to the 30-06 and the trajectory is much flatter. Now don't get me wrong, the 06 is a fine weapon but for all the kick and noise of the 06, the .270 will do the same job. I wouldn't shoot the larger game such as Elk at 500 yards but I would take a 200 yard shot. Again it about ammo and more importantly as mentioned above, shot placement. I have used the .270 for years and have NEVER had a bullet fail to exit on an animal. I have gone through the "armor plate" on a hog with an exit wound the size of a baseball at 130 yards. If most people would be honest they would admit that the weapon they use is simply a matter of preference versus need or actual ballistics research and choice. Most people choose a weapon for things like family heritage i.e. their father and grandfather hunted with that caliber, or they don't truly understand or care about ballistics and feel that they "need" a magnum or larger caliber weapon. Do a little research and comparison and I think you will make the right choice.

"Hate me if you want to, Love me if you can" Git-R-Done!

jgiles

jgiles writes about

I have a 270, 30-06 and a 243.  I hate my 30-06.  The best all around rifle is the 270, little less kick and a hole lot flatter shooting then the 30-06.  My favorite rifle for 200 yards or less is my 243.  In fact its the only rifle I have carried for the last 10 years.  I have never had a deer go over 20 yards after being shot.   The 243 is the more meat friendly of the two rifles.  Both are great calibers. I only use my 270 if I hunt a field that is greater then 200, but that is very seldom.  Good luck

Jon

nolanspawn
nolanspawn
nolanspawn writes about

Finally found a picture that I had been looking for (30-06, .270, and 25-06) comparison.

• 30-06 VS .270

LlindeX
LlindeX
LlindeX writes about

Josh, you're on the right track with either the 270 or the '06.  I'd say that the main reason you've had alot of meat damage with the '06 on deer is the fact that you've been shooting 180 gr. bullets.  The 270 does have enough gumption for an elk, and I've used the old military caliber for over 40 years now.  150 - 165 gr for deer, 180 gr. for elk, & 190 - 200 gr. for anything with a tougher hide or bigger body size.  Never had any problem with a great deal of meat damage with the lower wt bullets. Never had any problems putting down and elk with the heavier ones.  Course you could talk to some expert highly paid guru who will tell give you the real straight story on these new fangled" Short Magnum" calibers.  About 9 yrs ago, I drew a big horn sheep tag here in Colorado.  I let the outfitter convince me that my '06 didn't shoot flat enough.  So, I told my wife that this was a once in a lifetime hunt, and I absolutely positively had to have a new rifle for the hunt.  One that would shoot all the way across a big mountain canyon.  Being the understanding gal she is, she agreed and I went right out and began looking.  To make a long story short, after weeks of pouring over articles in different outdoor magazines, gun digests, etc., I settled on a new 7MM Magnum.  I literally jumped at the chance to buy a new rifle that would outshoot my old '06.  Sure enough, about $1000 later, I had that new rifle and $300 later a new scope to go on her.  Took her to the range and worked day after day to develop the best performing reloads.  Got it down to the point I was shooting better, faster, flatter, and with more confidence than a Missouri Mule.  Then it dawned on me, I'd be carrying that beautiful brand new expensive wooden stock through some awfully rugged terrain, on horse back,  crawling through rocks and brush, and in taken it out into some mighty dreadful weather.  That gun and its unbelievable piece of wood deserved better than to be scratched up on its first hunting trip.  Out I went to purchase a synthetic stock for her.  Then straight to the gunsmith's to get it fitted and bedded.  (I didn't want to mess up that beautiful accuracy that I'd worked so hard to get.)  Yep, I did the right thing, I worked hard for 18 days above 13,000 ft. and got a fantastic full curl Ram.  Fantastic shot too.  All of 75 yards.  Really needed that flatter shooting capablity.  When I got back home from the hunt, I took the action out of that scratched up ugly synthetic stock, put it back into the wonderfully beautiful piece of wood. Cleaned everything meticulously and put it safely into my gun cabinet.  The next Spring, I saw a sale on new gun safes.  Wow, that would be just the ticket to protect that new 7MM from thieves and fire.  Once again, I talked to my better half and she agreed.  That gun was just too beautiful to take a chance on having it destroyed in a fire or getting it stolen.  A mear $900 later, and we were the proud owners of a brand new fire proof box to hold it in.  Now, I could sleep nights knowing that my prized new rifle was safe sitting in the strong box.  Shortly after installing the safe, it was time to begin preparations for my annual antelope trip to Wyoming and my deer and elk expeditions here in Colorado.  I got the new rifle out of the safe, looked at the beautiful wood, and dreamed of the hunting trips that were drawing near.  The very thought of dragging that rifle through the sage brush and scrub oak gave me hives.  After two weeks of sheer misery, I decided that I could still use the old '06 and save the beautiful 7MM from becoming an ugly duckling.  Thus, the new 7mm remained behind and I took the old reliable.  Didn't really matter if it got a couple of new scratches, it had already seen years and years of travel under all sorts of conditions, and she already looked like she'd been ridden hard and put away wet.  Got all my animals too!  Closest shot was the elk at 275 yards, with the antelope approaching 350.  Next year, same events, I hated to take the 7mm out of that beautiful wood, and I hated the very thought of getting that first scratch.  Thus, the old reliable went on my hunts again.  Then it really happened, my son move to Alaska to go to college.  A couple of years later, I had an invitation to come for a visit and bring my huntin' apparel.  Somehow, he had managed to get us invited on a month long trip for Moose, Caribou, and Dall Sheep.  Wow, what an opportunity.  After a couple months reading the magazine articles about hunting in Alaska, I was convinced, neither the '06 nor the 7mm mag. would be the ideal rifle for that kind of trip.  Back to the gunsmith who had done such a great job of helping me bed the 7mm in the synthetic stock.  A routine discussion with him and I was convinced.  I needed a new rifle for this trip.  His expert recommendation: a brand new 30-338.  Didn't have the kick of the commercial calibers of 300 Win Mag or 338.  Shot as flat as the 7mm. And with a muzzle break would have recoil like a 270.  I had alot of confidence in him.  I'd shot some of those custom rifles he'd built on our club range.  Boy, were they ever accurate.  Once again, talked to my dearest darlin'.  She grinned and agreed, if I was going to kill a moose in "Grizzly Heaven" she didn't want me to go undergunned.  (At least without increasing my life insurance benefits.) Thus several weeks and a pile of $$$$ later, I took possesion of my newest acqusition.  A brand new custom 30-338.  No more pretty wood, this sucker was already in a high dollar synthetic stock.  No more worries about the Alaskan rain, this bad boy came with its own Teflon coating over stainless steel.  No more worries about the big bears; this monster would put  190 grain bullets out the muzzle at over 3,000 fps.  Talk about king of the tundra, I just couldn't wait to get to the range and begin working up some loads for him.  Gotter done too!  Didn't take me more than $150 in powder, bullets, and new cases if you didn't count the cost of the custom dies that the gunsmith buddy of mine had generously sold to me "at his cost + a bit for his labor" to ensure that I had a set of custom dies precisely matching the custom chamber of that fine piece of equipment he'd built for just me.  First time I pulled the trigger, I knew I was in love.  All the hot gases escaping out the sides of that new muzzle brake took my huniting partner's glasses right off his head and not so gently deposited them on the concrete beneath his bench beside me.  That cost me a little over $275 to ensure we kept our friendship.  But boy, the targets were impressive.  That rifle was shooting clover leafs and 100 yds!!!  And the power, the chronograph showed I was puttin' em down range at 3165 fps.  Not bad with a bullet wt of 190 gr.    Alaska, here I come!!!  Went there too; got my sheep, didn't see a legal moose in our area, saw only a handful of Caribou and none were real shooters.  Saw a couple of them big bars, but they must have known I was packin' heavy firepower.  Soon as they saw me an my big 30-338 they lit out for the lower forty-eight.  I could'nt have been safer.  After I returned from my adventure to Alaska, the fantastic new 30-338 claimed its rightful location beside the 7mm in the gun safe.  Been sittin' right there ever since.  When hunt'n season comes, I somehow reason that the 30-338 is too big for a mule deer or antelope, the 7mm is too beautiful to mar up on a hunting trip.  Besides, I've killed near 75-100 critters with the old reliable '06.  One more trip to the woods with her, and I might just get fond of her looks.  P.S. If you tell my honey about this letter. I'll deny it.  She still thinks I absolutely had to have those new guns.  If you tell my gunsmith or sporting goods dealer, they'll call ma a good for nothin' liar, you gotta have the right gun for the job.

Rack-N-Rod by LlindeX Your supplier for replicas on canvas, mugs, & steins.

Skip
Skip
Skip writes about
McLennan county

I stopped hunting back in the mid 80's when my wife started fishing with me. I started back hunting this past deer season. Before I used a 30-06 and a .243. I like both calibers. When I decided to start hunting again I bought a new rifle and it was a .270. I shoot a Federal 130 grn Bellistic Tip in it. I'm very much pleased with the .270. I think you will like your new gun. Oh and I wouldn't be affread to hunt anything in N. American with a cal..270..

E.TX.BOWHUNTER
E.TX.BOWHUNTER
E.TX.BOWHUNTER writes about E.TX.BOWHUNTER writes about E.TX.BOWHUNTER writes about E.TX.BOWHUNTER writes about E.TX.BOWHUNTER writes about E.TX.BOWHUNTER writes about
Montgomery county

Jon, What do you hate about your 30-06? What brand and material? I have only used 2 brands of high powered rifles, Remington and Savage. I have had no problems with either in 6mm, 243, or 30-06 with wood stocks no composite. All could group quarter size at 100 yards. The only meat wrecked was a running shot at an 11 pointer at 150 yards with the 6mm. I took a couple of vertebra out just behind the shoulder.

GO CLIMB A TREE, TIM

joshhern
joshhern

was that a model 700 Tim?  Love those guns

joeypii
joeypii
joeypii writes about

I have taken Axis, Whitetail, Elk, Eland, Blackbuck and several of the more common exotics with a 270, 25-06, 30-06, and a 300 WSM.  Accurate shot placement is necessary with all calibers.  My dad shoots a 30-06 with 125 gr remmy factory loads he has NEVER had a problem with the stopping power.  I normally shoot 100 gr in both the 270 and the 25-06 triple shocks.  My 300 shoots 165 gr Hornadys.  All four cartridges are plenty for all North American game.

Joeypii

The second amendment says nothing about "hunting"

joeypii
joeypii
joeypii writes about

I have taken Axis, Whitetail, Elk, Eland, Blackbuck and several of the more common exotics with a 270, 25-06, 30-06, and a 300 WSM.  Accurate shot placement is necessary with all calibers.  My dad shoots a 30-06 with 125 gr remmy factory loads he has NEVER had a problem with the stopping power.  I normally shoot 100 gr in both the 270 and the 25-06 triple shocks.  My 300 shoots 165 gr Hornadys.  All four cartridges are plenty for all North American game.

Joeypii

The second amendment says nothing about "hunting"

mrbigtexan
mrbigtexan
mrbigtexan writes about mrbigtexan writes about mrbigtexan writes about mrbigtexan writes about mrbigtexan writes about mrbigtexan writes about mrbigtexan writes about mrbigtexan writes about
Moore county

not to take anything away from someone, i had a win. model 70 and i couldnt get a tight group with anything other than 130 grain bullets. i only shot factory ammo. A friend has a howa, his brother an a-bolt in 270 also and they also have the same problem. My f-i-law has a ruger and his shoots 150 grain bullets just fine. they are all 270's. Have you ever considered a 308, ive had good luck with muleys and whitetails using 150 grain bullets

BCKHTR8
BCKHTR8
BCKHTR8 writes about BCKHTR8 writes about BCKHTR8 writes about BCKHTR8 writes about BCKHTR8 writes about BCKHTR8 writes about BCKHTR8 writes about BCKHTR8 writes about
Dallas county

I have a .270, 30-06 they're both good guns of choice depending on what game you're after but my weapon of choice is my .308 either my Winchester Model 88 or my New England Firearms single shot. I have killed many deer in Texas, Maryland and Pennsylvania with it and never lost one. Whatever gun you have the most confidence in and are most comfortable with is the one you will shoot the best. Make your decision based on that and you can't go wrong. 

Support our Troops !

joshhern
joshhern

this debate never gets old..  can someone show a ballistics chart for .270 vs .30-06 from the same manufacturer?  I shoot remington in my model 700s.. would be good to see a plot for both, pick any grain for the two loads... 

SUPERG
SUPERG
SUPERG writes about SUPERG writes about SUPERG writes about SUPERG writes about SUPERG writes about SUPERG writes about SUPERG writes about

Here is one in a small example. I know there are many other bullet types and grains. I chose 2 that were close in grain and the same bullet type. These are both Federal premium ammunition.

This is the link if you want to compare other calibers or these calibers in different grains. http://www.federalcartridge.com/ballistics/Ammo_Search.aspx?act=choose&firearm=1&s1=1

Compare Ballistics

Load Number

Brand:

P270C

PREMIUM VITAL-SHOK

P3006D

PREMIUM VITAL-SHOK

Load Details

Federal Load No.

Factory Primer No.

Caliber

Bullet Weight
Grains / Grams

Bullet style

Use

T.B*

P270C

270 Win.

150 / 9.72

Sierra GameKing BTSP

P3006D

30-06 Spring. (7.62x63mm)

165 / 10.69

Sierra GameKing BTSP

Velocity in Feet Per Second

Muzzle

P270C

P3006D

Energy in Foot Pounds

Muzzle

P270C

P3006D

Wind Drift in Inches 10 MPH Crosswind

P270C

P3006D

Average Range

P270C

P3006D

Long Range

P270C

P3006D

Bullets

P270C

Sierra GameKing BTSP

P3006D

Sierra GameKing BTSP

joshhern
joshhern

thanks!

joshhern
joshhern

Good idea.. I was able to get a similar comparison from the remington site with the shells I use for .270/.30-06.  The rational person would say .270 with these numbers!  Most of my shots are within 200yds, and they are similar from that perspective.

Cartridge Information
Index Number Cartridge Type Weight (grs.) Bullet Style Primer No. Ballistic Coefficient
R30062 Remington® Express® 150 Pointed Soft Point Core-Lokt® 9 1/2 0.314
R270W2 Remington® Express® 130 Pointed Soft Point Core-Lokt® 9 1/2 0.336
R300W2 Remington® Express® 180 Pointed Soft Point Core-Lokt® 9 1/2 M 0.438

Velocity (ft/sec)
Cartridge Type Bullet Muzzle 100 200 300 400 500
Remington® Express® 150 PSP CL 2910 2617 2342 2083 1843 1622
Remington® Express® 130 PSP CL 3060 2776 2510 2259 2022 1801
Remington® Express® 180 PSP CL 2960 2715 2482 2262 2052 1856

Energy (ft-lbs)
Cartridge Type Bullet Muzzle 100 200 300 400 500
Remington® Express® 150 PSP CL 2820 2281 1827 1445 1131 876
Remington® Express® 130 PSP CL 2702 2225 1818 1472 1180 936
Remington® Express® 180 PSP CL 3501 2945 2463 2044 1683 1375

Short-Range Trajectory
Cartridge Type Bullet 50 100 150 200 250 300
Remington® Express® 150 PSP CL 0.2 0.7 zero -2.2 -5.9 -11.4
Remington® Express® 130 PSP CL 0.1 0.6 zero -1.8 -5.1 -9.8
Remington® Express® 180 PSP CL 0.1 0.6 zero -1.9 -5.1 -9.8

Long-Range Trajectory
Cartridge Type Bullet 100 150 200 250 300 400 500
Remington® Express® 150 PSP CL 1.8 1.6 zero -3.2 -8.2 -24.4 -50.9
Remington® Express® 130 PSP CL 1.5 1.4 zero -2.8 -7.0 -20.9 -43.3
Remington® Express® 180 PSP CL 2.7 3.1 2.2 zero -3.7 -15.9 -35.6

joshhern
joshhern

150GR .30-06

130GR .270

180GR .300winmag

SUPERG
SUPERG

This shows 2 definite factors that we have been discussing. 1) The ballistics show that the .270 is so close to the .30-06 (and better half the time) that there is no need to use the 06. 2) bullet selection is critical.

joshhern
joshhern

I also did some looking at 300WSM..  looked to be pretty good, almost superior

Jason Parrish
Jason Parrish
Jason Parrish writes about Jason Parrish writes about Jason Parrish writes about Jason Parrish writes about Jason Parrish writes about Jason Parrish writes about Jason Parrish writes about Jason Parrish writes about Jason Parrish writes about Jason Parrish writes about
Travis county

I have been looking to buy a new, light weight rifle I can carry while hiking with all my equipment (video camera, still camera, binoculars, range finder, blah blah). I just read this article and logged on to share it with everyone when I saw this post. I guess a lot of us are thinking about the same issue.

This is the best bottom line comparison of the .270 vs. .30-06 I have found.

A Perfect Pair (.270 Win. and .30-06)

By Chuck Hawks

Okay, I admit, its been fun debating the relative superiority of the .270 Winchester and the .30-06 Springfield since the .270 first challenged the .30-06 back in 1925. That long running controversy has helped to propel these two cartridges to the top of the charts. (There is no such thing as bad publicity, right?) The .30-30 may be the best selling big game cartridge of all time, but the .30-06 is the best selling big game cartridge for bolt action rifles, and the .270 Winchester is number two.

Both can trace their roots back to the obsolete .30-03. The .30-06 is based on a slightly shortened version of that case, and the .270 is based on a necked-down .30-06 case. The shoulder angle is identical and so is the powder capacity to the base of the shoulder. Both require a long, but not magnum length, rifle action.

.30-06 Spfd.
.30-06 Springfield. Illustration courtesy of Hornady Mfg. Co.

The .30-06 became famous as a military cartridge shooting a 150 grain spitzer bullet (BC .226), and that is still a very popular bullet weight with hunters, particularly those seeking CXP2 game. (In North America that would primarily include deer, black bear, caribou, antelope, sheep, goats, and feral hogs.) The 150 grain bullet was introduced in the .30-06 at a MV of 2700 fps, but improvements in powder technology have increased that to about 2900 fps in most factory loads today. However, the load that made the .30-06's reputation with hunters as an all-around big game hunting cartridge--meaning all of the above CXP2 game plus elk, moose, and grizzly bear--is the 180 grain bullet (BC .271) at a MV of about 2700 fps.

.270 Win.
.270 Winchester. Illustration courtesy of Hornady Mfg. Co.

The .270 Winchester is purely a hunting cartridge with no military background. Winchester introduced it with a 130 grain bullet (BC .242) at a MV of about 3140 fps, and at the time it was the flattest shooting commercial big game cartridge in the world. And it is still the long range hunting cartridge to which all others are compared. When properly placed that high velocity 130 grain bullet kills CXP2 game like lighting. And it has also accounted for more CXP3 game than seems reasonable. But for those who wanted a heavier projectile for use on elk and moose, a 150 grain bullet (BC .279) at a MV of 2900 fps is offered.

So now both the .270 and .30-06 can handle all CXP2 and CXP3 game, at normal or long ranges, by changing bullet weights. Thus either caliber is suitable for the one rifle big game hunter.

Unfortunately, the reality is that it is a hassle, not to mention expensive in the long run, to keep changing bullet weights. That normally requires re-zeroing the rifle, which means a special trip to the rifle range. The result is that most hunters don't bother to re-zero, and in the end just stick with one bullet weight. Often that becomes a compromise weight, such as 140 grains (BC .261) in .270 and 165 grains (BC .248) in .30-06. But, these compromise bullets are not ideal for CXP2 or CXP3 game; they're merely passable for both.

The fact remains that the .270/130 superior to the .30-06/150 as a long range and CXP2 game load. Conversely, the .30-06/180 is superior to the .270/150 as a CXP3 game load. You'd have to be a dyed in the wool .270 or .30-06 true believer to dispute the reality of those statements, and the majority of experienced hunters would agree with me. The late, great Jack O'Connor once wrote (to paraphrase) that if all .270 loads but the 130 grain and all .30-06 loads but the 180 grain were to be discontinued, we would not be greatly inconvenienced. I am inclined to agree with him, since I have habitually zeroed my .270 rifles for 130 grain bullets and my .30-06 with 180 grain bullets.

So my suggestion is to forget the "one rifle" idea altogether and spring for two rifles. Consider purchasing a .270 and a .30-06. Use the .270/130 grain load for long range shooting and hunting CXP2 game, and the .30-06/180 grain load in the woods and for hunting CXP3 game. No more compromise bullet weights and no more having to re-zero your rifle.

And the nice thing is that you need to take two rifles on any important hunt, anyway, just in case one malfunctions. With these two, they can substitute for each other in a pinch. Sure, you'd prefer to shoot your elk with the .30-06/180, but if it's out of commission for some reason the .270/130 has a long track record as an elk slayer. Conversely, if your .270 is out of action the .30-06/180 load shoots flat enough to cover the majority of shots. And, while it kicks a little harder and might not kill deer quite as fast at long range as the .270/130, there is no question that it can do the job. The two calibers and loads complement each other. Gee, a perfect pair!

Copyright 2007 by Chuck Hawks. All rights reserved.

Hunt Hard. Fish Smart. Explore Texas.

SUPERG
SUPERG

Jason,

That was a wonderful article. It very easily answers most hunters questions with regards to the two calibers mentioned. I still prefer one rifle because I don't do any large game hunting. However, IF I ever decided to hunt elk, I know that my .270 will get the job done. I'm glad that you posted it as it also gives some of the history of the calibers. I actually have never researched to see when the .270 was devloped. I knew it was a necked down .30-06 but I had no idea it was developed in 1925. Anyway, I really appreciated the article. Thanks for sharing it.

LlindeX
LlindeX
LlindeX writes about

Nice article.  It says it all in clear and unbiase English.  I'll have to show it to my wife; I don't own a 270.....yet!  But one to match my old '06 shouldn't set me back too much, should it?

Rack-N-Rod by LlindeX Your supplier for replicas on canvas, mugs, & steins.

ConchoMan
ConchoMan
ConchoMan writes about ConchoMan writes about ConchoMan writes about ConchoMan writes about

I have a Colt light rifle in 270 win.  I really like the cartridge the 130 grain Winchester Powerpoint, Silver Tips, and the Seirre Gamekings (I have been shooting hand loads that match the factory velocitys listed on the Winchester website which was about 3080 fps muzzle velocity) are all excellent rounds.  I didn't care for shooting Remington amunition as it would leave copper fauling in my rifles barrel.  Both are excellent calibers though,  my grandfarther had a sporterized 1906 Springfield that he hunted with for several decades.  I still have it but have never hunted with it.  My 270 has never let me down I think either would work fine both have there strengths and neither of them really have a weakness of any significance.

Guide Girl
Guide Girl
Guide Girl writes about

I've always loved my 270. I think it's a little more quiet than my 30-06. If your hunting Texas, it'll take care of any business you have hunting here. I wouldn't worry a bit about shooting the 270 over the 30-06 at all. I have a scope with illuminated crosshairs on mine for shooting big hogs after dark, and when you purchase your new rifle, think about the scope and what you'll be shooting and when. Like after dark shooting? Its just terrible to have to ponder a new rifle huh? he he! Have fun and tell us what you get-with pictures!

A Family that Hunts together, stays together. (unless they leave me home!)

wheeless621
wheeless621
wheeless621 writes about wheeless621 writes about wheeless621 writes about wheeless621 writes about wheeless621 writes about wheeless621 writes about wheeless621 writes about
Brown county

What a great thread, lots of info.  I usually use my .243, but if I'm going where I might have to go over 300yds i take my 30.06.  I think the 270 is the better of the two but my 06 has alot of sentimental value.

Guns don't kill people....Its those pesky little bullets making lots of holes that all the blood leaks out of.

sharpshooter21

sharpshooter21 writes about

ANTLERS_2

well, i am a .270 fan. i came to this problem myself and spent months of reasearch. it came to be... the 30-06 is a great rife dont get me wrong it is versitile and you can hunt small deer with low grain bullets at the same time as you can hunt elk from 300 yrds+. but the .270 is a classic excellent deer/big game rifle and it as well has alot of round for it. The 30-06 is slower and less flat shooting, while the .270 can take any deer you put in its sights still from 300yrds+. for deer and mabye som mountain goats i would go eith the .270 for big bear and elk and carribou go with 30-06, have a good hunt. i would also look into a 7mm-08. some people say they are a great deer cartriged too.

p.s: the .270 has a longer neck than the 30-06 on the casing making it more effective and flat shooting at long ranges.

wohalliburton
wohalliburton
wohalliburton writes about wohalliburton writes about wohalliburton writes about wohalliburton writes about wohalliburton writes about wohalliburton writes about wohalliburton writes about wohalliburton writes about wohalliburton writes about wohalliburton writes about

The .30-06 and .270 are very good rounds.  I did several years of research into long range knockdown power, trajectory, ease of getting rounds (i.e. number of mfgrs and number of loads available), bullet construction (including ballistic coefficient), and weight range before buying a rifle several years ago.  Even called some of the manufacturers themselves.  Like Duckwacker said early in the thread I got a 7mm Remington Mag and never looked back.  It has the best combination of flat trajectory, ease of ammunition purchase, widest range of bullet weights (in the whitetail to elk class) available, and downrange performance.

The pics below from Federal's website show what I'm trying to illustrate between say a .270 and 7mm with 140 grain bullets from the same manufacturer (they also demonstrate how fine a line we're talking about here).

• 30-06 VS .270
  • 30-06 VS .270

FishFearMe

FishFearMe writes about

I have the same combination you are considering...Browning A-Bolt in .270 Win with a Leupold scope. 

I shoot factory Hornady Custom Light Mag ammo in 140g. BTSP bullets at 3100fps.  My rifle shoots this ammo in 1/2 to 3/4 inch groups at 100 yards consistently.   

I've shot deer (out to 400 yards), hogs (out to 200 yards), black buck (275 yards) and coyotes (out to 600 yards).  I've never lost an animal and always had complete pass thru of the bullets.  I'd have no concerns in taking larger game with this rifle. 

I also have a 30.06 as well as a couple of .30 cal. magnums.  With the .270 Win rifle/caliber/ammo combo above I just don't see the need for a magnum when hunting whitetails.   I love my .270 and have so much confidence in it that I just don't hunt with anything else anymore. 

As for the scope, I'd save some money and get the 40mm VX-II or VX-III.  There is really no performance advantage in a 50mm objective.  The 40mm obj. serves just fine through legal shooting hours and beyond.  I hunt hogs with mine at night and no artificial light...just moon light.  It works great.   Police and Military use Leupold 40mm scopes in all conditions.  Just my 2 cents worth. 

Top:.270 Win. Hornady Custom Light Magnum 140g. BTSP

Bottom:  30.06 Spgd Hornady Custom Light Magnum 150g. BTSP

.270 Win., 140 gr. BTSP
Velocity (fps) / Energy (ft-lbs)
Muzzle 100 yd 200 yd 300 yd 400 yd 500 yd
3100/2987 2900/2614 2709/2280 2525/1982 2349/1715 2180/1477
Trajectory (inches)
-1.50 1.30 0.00 -6.10 -17.60 -35.40

0-06 Sprg., 150 gr. SP

Velocity (fps) / Energy (ft-lbs)
3100/3200 2815/2639 2548/2161 2295/1754 2057/1410 1835/1121
Trajectory (inches)
-1.50 1.50 0.00 -6.80 -20.30 -42.00

The .270 has a slight advantage in speed and energy beyond 100 yards and therefore is slightly flatter shooting.  Both are good choices though. 

pumphouse

pumphouse writes about

I am going to add my $ .02 on this one.  The choice between 30.06 and .270 in my opinion is a matter of what your are going to be shooting at, how far and in what weather conditions.  If you are only shooting Texas Whitetail and average hogs a .270 would be a great gun, especially with optimum ammo for your particular rifle.  If you plan on moving up to larger game, say elk, moose or certain exotics, the 30.06 is what you want.

I have seen many posts, for deer calibers suggesting the best gun is the biggest you are comfortable shooting.  I personally think that is very wrong, and borders on irresponsible.  For instance, I am very comfortable shooting a .50 bmg (out to 800+ yds) , do I think that is what I should be hunting deer with, H3LL NO!!!.  The caliber you choose should fit your personal hunting needs and abilities which is something nobody but you can define.  For myself, I own a 30.06, 308 and 270 and use them all for different situations.  If I had to choose one to do it all I would go with the .308, but that is my opinion. 

I am getting off my soap box now, I hope this helped and didn't pi55 to many people off.

Forums >> Texas Hunting >> General Hunting >> 30-06 VS .270

Forums Statistics:

• There are 27889 registered site users.
  • There are currently -20 active users on the site.
  • There are currently 0 registered users that active are on the site (and signed in).
  • There are currently -4 active users in the Forums.

Welcome to the newest registered users: Retired Army Guy Ttugrad2000 neternakon zatty

Google Adsense 728x90 Leaderboard

Explore Forums Through Common Keywords:

locked target outdoors first topwaters rigs lake blue hunt fishing shooting hog south striper striped fish crankbaits fishboat channel lakes hunters soft brush dove lease bass worms county points redfish catfish texas crappie plastics bait public bow spinnerbaits shoot hogs shrimp buck rifle trout cut shot slabs land game yellow call www.tpwd.state.tx.us season gun traps wildlife jigs ranch deer hunts nightcrawlers bucks shad minnows priority turkey hunter buy wild recreational family hunting