3. ctbrown17 (2274)
  4. Hunter X (1185)
  5. huntexas (1025)
  6. scott dye (908)
  7. Circle NA (821)
  8. rosiedarling89 (602)
  9. pointman (600)
  10. repfluger (501)

Forums >> Texas Hunting >> Turkey, Quail and Dove Hunting >> Katy / Eagle Lake Goose hunt anyone?

Katy / Eagle Lake Goose hunt anyone?

ICMCumin

ICMCumin writes about Katy / Eagle Lake Goose hunt anyone?ICMCumin writes about Katy / Eagle Lake Goose hunt anyone?ICMCumin writes about Katy / Eagle Lake Goose hunt anyone?ICMCumin writes about Katy / Eagle Lake Goose hunt anyone?ICMCumin writes about Katy / Eagle Lake Goose hunt anyone?

BIRDS

Is anyone interested in a Texas Hunt Fish goose hunt this season.  Was with Allen Shannon this past weekend here in Katy and we discussed it briefly.

IF there is interest, I could arrange a hunt through Larry Gore's outfitting and guide service here in Katy. I talked with one on Gore's top dogs earlier today. He said a fantastic season is being predicted - many young birds this year compared to previous years.  (Young equates to stupid!  We like stupid birds!)  He suggests a week or so before Thanksgiving. 

He said it would be $125 per person but I bet Allen could use some of his sway to do get the price down.  I would also contribute / trade an appliance to bring the price down as well if four or more people will go.

Dusty and I plan on going.  Anyone else interested?

Google Adsense 728x90 Leaderboard

RE: Katy / Eagle Lake Goose hunt anyone?

greencows00

greencows00 writes about

depending on what weekend and when you would need the money me and my wife would be interested. been thinking of doing that this year.just keep me informed

texashuntfish

texashuntfish writes about texashuntfish writes about texashuntfish writes about texashuntfish writes about texashuntfish writes about texashuntfish writes about texashuntfish writes about texashuntfish writes about texashuntfish writes about texashuntfish writes about
Travis county

Thanks for bringing this up Jim.  I think it's an awesome idea.  I'll be there for sure and might be able to talk my brother up in Dallas into coming down.  I know he hasn't been in a while and would love it. 

I'll drop Larry Gore an email...

Allen

Hunt Hard. Fish Smart. Explore Texas.

ICMCumin

ICMCumin writes about ICMCumin writes about ICMCumin writes about ICMCumin writes about ICMCumin writes about

Let me know what he has to say, Allen.  His office is just down the street from my store.  Again, if we can get more than four from this board, I'll do some bartering to get our costs down significantly.

What about it guys?

Coyote
Coyote
Coyote writes about

Me and one other would be in depending on the date of the hunt.

ICMCumin

ICMCumin writes about ICMCumin writes about ICMCumin writes about ICMCumin writes about ICMCumin writes about

I would suggest we have it on the weekend before or the weekend after the Thanksgiving break.

Any comments - I really need to hear from everyone that is interested here in order to be as inclusive as possible....

Coyote
Coyote
Coyote writes about

Dang...I'd be out on those 2 weekends. 

TEXAS TECH - ou game before Thanksgiving.

New York with the wife after Thanksgiving. 

I'll keep checking here to see if the date slips any.

ICMCumin

Whats works for you, Coyote?  Nothing is cast in stone yet.....

sequitur

sequitur writes about

Depending on the weekend, I would consider going as well.

Chris

texashuntfish

texashuntfish writes about texashuntfish writes about texashuntfish writes about texashuntfish writes about texashuntfish writes about texashuntfish writes about texashuntfish writes about texashuntfish writes about texashuntfish writes about texashuntfish writes about
Travis county

I've emailed them but not heard anything back.  Anyone know another outfitter around there?

Allen

ICMCumin

Allen: I'll give them a call later this week. Jim

Do'Nob
Do'Nob
Do'Nob writes about Do'Nob writes about
Anderson county

I know lots of outfitters in the area, but for goose hunting, I'd reccomend you all head further south. Eagle Lake, El Campo, Lissie area.  Geese are less pressured, less development, more rice production and more birds.  Let me know if you want me to reccomend someone and I'll talk it over with a couple guides I know.

But duck hunting Sunday I saw lots of specs and several big flocks of Sandhills. Lots of new birds have arrived with this front. Geese are here now in huntable numbers and hopefully it just gets better from here on out.

Do nob= DOA wingshooting

texashuntfish

Travis county

Let me know how it goes Jim. 

Recommend 'em Do Nob.  Always good to cover the bases and for people to know some good guides out there for goose hunting even if we go somewhere else.  Shoot those sandhills.  Man they taste like a good steak!  We used to shoot a ton of them out in Lubbock.  They made up half my college diet - the other being hog.

Allen

Do'Nob
Do'Nob
Anderson county

Bay Prarie outfitters is a good one further south.  I know guides that work for them and for Circle H.  Both are good guys.  In Katy prarie specifically, you may check with Butch Waggoner or Texas Waterfowl Outfitters. 

Do nob= DOA wingshooting

ICMCumin

Do: I was hoping to use Larry Gore because I can do a trade with them for some of my appliances, thus lowering the cost for everyone - if you can find a hunt in the $100 a person range, then it would still work for me......

texashuntfish

Travis county

That sounds great to me Jim.  Maybe they'll email me back soon or it will work with you talking to them.  That sure is nice of you to offer to trade.

For those of you that don't know Jim has a large appliance store in Katy where you can get some INCREDIBLE deals. 

You guys have a great day!

Allen

greencows00

greencows00 writes about

the $100 range per person would work for me.... i'll keep checking here to see what yall come up with..

thanks....geo

Do'Nob
Do'Nob
Anderson county

Sounds like you got a good deal working there, go with it. Prices on the aforementioned are Butch: 120 TWO:135, It goes up from there. 

Do nob= DOA wingshooting

ICMCumin

I finally talked with the guide earlier today. He took 8 hunters out on the Katy prairie this morning and they took 113 geese..... Have it set up for December 13th (a Saturday) for here in Katy. Not included are tips for the guide, transportation, lodging, shells. You'll need a 12 guage or larger with non-toxic shells (size 2 or bigger), camos, license, duck stamps (Texas and Fed). I'll buy breakfast for the first 4 that sign up. We have the special rate of $100 apiece, but we need more than 5 hunters. I am going so we need at least 4 more. I'll need a check for the full $100 by December 1st. (non-refundable) I am also posting this on another board, so sign up quickly - max number of hunters is about 10 or so...... So who wants to go? Jim

texashuntfish

Travis county

I'm in for sure JIM!!!!  Can you email me your address at allen@texashuntfish.com and I'll put the check in the mail.  Man this is going to be awesome.  I love to shoot those geese!

Allen

ICMCumin

so far there are 3 of us - need 2 more! Jim

greencows00

greencows00 writes about

Count me in..... and I think my wife... (Yep she is my hunting buddy) you can email me at greencows00@aol.com ... what choke do yall use for geese? Do we need waders??? Cause we don’t have any and prob won’t be able to get them due to finances etc... Also I don’t plan on staying in Katy, I plan on driving in from Austin so if you could give us a set place to meet that would be great and some kind of directions since I don’t know Katy very well. And I take it that regular steel shot would be fine? Can't afford the real expensive stuff.

This will be our very first goose hunt or any waterfowl hunt to that matter...so be gentle :)

greencows00

greencows00 writes about

Count me in..... and I think my wife... (Yep she is my hunting buddy) you can email me at greencows00@aol.com ... what choke do yall use for geese? Do we need waders??? Cause we don’t have any and prob won’t be able to get them due to finances etc... Also I don’t plan on staying in Katy, I plan on driving in from Austin so if you could give us a set place to meet that would be great and some kind of directions since I don’t know Katy very well. And I take it that regular steel shot would be fine? Can't afford the real expensive stuff.

This will be our very first goose hunt or any waterfowl hunt to that matter...so be gentle :)

Do'Nob
Do'Nob
Anderson county

George, you shouldn't need waders, and I shoot BBB through a mod choke.  If the decoying action is good, that will slay em, out past 40 yards, its questionable.

And here to whet your whistle - I will link to a post on another site that has pics of a similar hunt on 11/4 where 125 birds were killed on the Katy Prarie:

http://refugeforums.com/refuge/showthread.php?s=&threadid=172370

Do nob= DOA wingshooting

greencows00

greencows00 writes about

well if we can get anything like that i will be one happy camper as im sure so will everyone else.

ICMCumin

Was driving over to my hunting lease in Flatonia yesterday evening about 5 or so and saw about 1000 snows just past Pederson Road, between Katy and Brookshire. Coming back this afternoon, saw them again in the same spot. WooHoo!!!

Do'Nob
Do'Nob
Anderson county

They are on the katy prarie in force, we saw thousands Saturday morning.  Hope you all have a great hunt!

Do nob= DOA wingshooting

greencows00

greencows00 writes about

jim... im having problems getting mail at my aol account for some reason. if u send us a email there and i dont respond, can u please send me one at greencows00@austin.rr.com. i can have the check in the mail for myself and my wife this week.

ICMCumin

Greencows00 - you've got mail at both addresses....... So far it is Allen, Mr and Mrs Greencows, my buddy Doug, two guys from another board and me. Anybody else? Three spots left.

duck'n'buck

duck'n'buck writes about

Did I make in in under the whisle? ... If so count me in. I'll be coming in from the TX, OK border north of Dallas on 75. I've been a duck hunting addict for several years but never tried geese. Please email me at kbedwell@nortelnetworks.com

Look forward to meeting you folks .. If the spot is available.

Texas Outdoors
Texas Outdoors
Texas Outdoors writes about Texas Outdoors writes about Texas Outdoors writes about Texas Outdoors writes about Texas Outdoors writes about Texas Outdoors writes about Texas Outdoors writes about Texas Outdoors writes about Texas Outdoors writes about Texas Outdoors writes about

I can't wait!!!!!!!!

ICMCumin

You're in Duck n' Buck...... had a cancellation already, so we still have three spots left.

duck'n'buck

duck'n'buck writes about

Jim,

I have two buddies that would like to join us, Scott and Voskin, if the spots are open. Let me know where/who to send the fees to. Looking forward to it.

kbedwell@nortelnetworks.com

Kevin

duck'n'buck

duck'n'buck writes about

Jim,

I have two buddies that would like to join us, Scott and Voskin, if the spots are open. Let me know where/who to send the fees to. Looking forward to it.

kbedwell@nortelnetworks.com

Kevin

ICMCumin

Hey duckn'buck. That will work. There is now one spot left...... Unless someone cancels. Will send you an email with mailing directions. Jim

duck'n'buck

duck'n'buck writes about

Quote from revious post "I'll need a check for the full $100 by December 1st. (non-refundable) "

Are we still on for the 13th?  If you still need the $100/person, $300 in my case, I need to send it out in the next couple of days. I'll be out of town for Thanksgiving. Good luck in the field everyone and be safe.

Kevin

ICMCumin

we are still on for the 13th. You've got mail. Jim

Texas Outdoors
Texas Outdoors
Texas Outdoors writes about Texas Outdoors writes about Texas Outdoors writes about Texas Outdoors writes about Texas Outdoors writes about Texas Outdoors writes about Texas Outdoors writes about Texas Outdoors writes about Texas Outdoors writes about Texas Outdoors writes about

It's getting closer Jim!  I can't wait!  There is still one spot open right?

Allen

ICMCumin

Right now there are four spots left. One guy cancelled and I haven't received $$ from GreenCows or Duckn'Buck as yet.

duck'n'buck

duck'n'buck writes about

You should have my deposit for 3 people ...

Duck'n'Buck

greencows00

greencows00 writes about

well not sure why our check didnt get to you. we took it to the post office to mail it. guess that tells ya a little bit about the postal service. i will have to put a stop payment on the check and send out a new one.

george

ICMCumin

have received ducknbuck deposit. Greencows - you have mail. Please bring your money with you on that morning - sent you directions last night. Jim

ICMCumin

Good news. I met the president of the Katy chapter of Du last week. he mentioned that our guide is one of the best in the area - very lauditory in his comments. I talked with the guide today at lunch. They are shooting a lot of birds in the area. We wil be in either Katy or Eagle Lake depending on the scouting to be done Friday evening. The projected weather for the goose hunt is some chances of rain - it will at least be wet in the field, so suggest water proof pants with rubber boots or chest waders. Ponchos should be brought as well. Guide suggests shooting a modified choke. Will be sending out directions to the hunters later this evening. we will be meeting in Old Katy at 4:30 AM this Sautrday morning. Anybody that wants to spend the night in my warehouse Friday night please let me know. I have some torn but new mattresses that will do the trick for one night. You would ned to bring a sleeping bag or bedding to get you through a fairly cool night. I just cant hardly wait! Jim

OFISHBLUE

OFISHBLUE writes about

jim b ; any spots left? please let me know asap so i can sign up and be included on the 13th. ofishblue.

ICMCumin

Ofishblue -

There are two spots left - you got one of them.  Will send you directions to the meeting spot.

Jim

ICMCumin

OFISHBLUE: You've got mail! I need to hear from you ASAP. thanks, Jim

OFISHBLUE

OFISHBLUE writes about

thank you jim.  are we still good for your store to spend the night?  are you in eagle lake? please send more details when you can.  looking forward to an exciting hunt.  ofishblue.

texashuntfish

Travis county

I'll be at the store Jim.  Man I can't wait!!!!  Sounds like PERFECT weather too.  The more miserable --- the better for geese!  I can just picture them now - thousands of them cupping their wings and landing right on top of us.  I wish it was Friday!

What time should we meet at your store?

Allen

dmg96

dmg96 writes about

Good luck to all of ya'll this weekend.  Sure wish I could have gone too but gotta make that money.  Look foward to hearing the reports and seeing some pictures!

ICMCumin

Allen - just give me a call as you get close to Katy. I will be at the shop and then heading down to Texas Tradition in Old Katy (right in front of the store) for dinner about 7 or so. Jim

texashuntfish

Travis county

I'm probably going to be able to leave about 6 or 6:30 so i'll miss out on the dinner.  What time is bass pro open till?  I think I'll stop by there to pickup some more shells.

Allen

Do'Nob
Do'Nob
Anderson county

Bass Pro is open till 9 I believe.  Good luck guys, you got the weather for it!

Do nob= DOA wingshooting

Forums >> Texas Hunting >> Turkey, Quail and Dove Hunting >> Katy / Eagle Lake Goose hunt anyone?

Forums Statistics:

• There are 27889 registered site users.
  • There are currently -4 active users on the site.
  • There are currently 0 registered users that active are on the site (and signed in).
  • There are currently -6 active users in the Forums.

Welcome to the newest registered users: Retired Army Guy Ttugrad2000 neternakon zatty

Google Adsense 728x90 Leaderboard

Explore Forums Through Common Keywords:

bucks soft season jigs crankbaits buy lease redfish fish land county channel striped target hunt turkey south slabs call priority bass ranch rigs trout shooting hog bow first rifle shrimp recreational yellow shot locked fishboat hunting spinnerbaits family minnows www.tpwd.state.tx.us gun catfish nightcrawlers traps shoot bait plastics texas fishing deer hunts public lake worms brush buck hunters wildlife dove striper topwaters points hogs crappie wild lakes outdoors game shad cut blue hunter