7. Circle NA (821)
  8. rosiedarling89 (602)
  9. pointman (600)
  10. repfluger (501)

Forums >> Texas Hunting >> General Hunting >> Hill Country State Natural Area

Hill Country State Natural Area

medic44

medic44 writes about Hill Country State Natural Area

Got drawn for a hunt in the hill country SNA here in Tx. anyone happen to hunt it before and had luck...I went to scope it out and it looks promissing..I was told they have axis come through there and have auodad and mouflon, plus mostly whitetail. Send any info or tips...Im not used to hunt hill country part of Texas so tips are greatly appreciated--this is an archery hunt by the way.  thanks

Google Adsense 728x90 Leaderboard

RE: Hill Country State Natural Area

Ridgeback3

Ridgeback3 writes about

When was your hunt? I was drawn for the 2010 january hunt at the hill country natural area did you have any luck or see much game? I cant seem to find any info about the results of any hunts there.

Bert

medic44

medic44 writes about

Hey Ridge...I was the only one to get a deer on that hunt out of 30 or so people...Yes there are deer there..rifle would have made it easier..as I had bow only. Did you get drawn for the rifle hunt? You might be on the last hunt...They were running (the rut) when i went ..and the little spike I called in was with a doe bleet can from primos...I was able to get a nice older buck in close but not close enough w/ the bow...a rile would have got me an 8pt buck...I saw him about 125 yrds away and bleeted at him and he came within 60 yrds....Hunt the bottoms or low areas..they feed there and I believe it provides better cover and it is a bit warmer than up in the mountain tops...look for trails that converge ..pinch points..which is where I got my little spike..three trails came together near an open field w/ grass...saw lots of rubs and scrapes....feed feed feed...they will be hungry by when you go...put out lots of corn..pick a spot that has all these things if possible and hold tight..dont move around ......I believe your best luck is if you hunt in one spot.......thats my theory....and I was the only one to get a buck/deer on my hunt..so I think I was thinking right....oh and I missed a doe.....Others saw nice bucks...8 pts or 10pts...but from far away......good luck!

ddominguez

ddominguez writes about

I've also been drawn for the in on 01-18-10 thru 01-21-10. I really appreciate the info from Jack. The hunting is by compartment only. I've hunted parks and they are usually GOOD hunts. Good Luck...!!!!

medic44

medic44 writes about

Im gonna go there for the standby hunt domingo...if nothing comes up..maybe Ill see you there...bring plenty of corn..they will be hungry no doubt.

ddominguez

ddominguez writes about

Jack,

I'll be hunting by myself. Maybe we can hunt the same compartment together. I'll be there the Sunday before the hunt starts and I'll be sure to take plenty of corn. I really appreciate the information.

medic44

medic44 writes about

Yes, definately...They usually put the standby guys with the drawn hunters that only have one person...so If I get drawn I can ask to be put in your compartment. On the corn, make sure you only bring/buy corn in labeled bags w/ tags...they do not allow corn in the white bags that are filled straight from the cornfields, something about toxins...so dont waste your money on those. Bring deer calls...bleets and grunts as well as cover and deer scent. I should be there and hopefully I will get picked...this hunt is actually taking place after the end of the regular rifle season..so if I get drawn it will lengthen my season...hope to see you there..I have one other guy that is going with me as well.

jack

Ridgeback3

Ridgeback3 writes about

Thanks for the info Jack they say they have Axis on the park did you see any while you were there? I got picked a few years ago for the hunt in Garner state park it was great. I was able to take 2 Axis & 2 of my hunting buddies got Axis as well.

Bert

medic44

medic44 writes about

well most of the axis have been shot off the hill country park but there are no fences and axis are free ranging in that area....i did not see any but you never know...I shot a red stag off my friends ranch that was free ranging..came outa no where.......I was at Garner last june and saw a monster Axis buck..huge w/ extra points than the regular six...I have been trying to get on there w/ my son on a youth hunt and get him a big axis..but no luck yet....

ddominguez

ddominguez writes about

Jack

Hopefully you and your friend will get drawn and I'll be sure to take toxin free corn.  I'll see you down there. Have a safe trip...!!!

Ridgeback3

Ridgeback3 writes about

Just got back from the drawn hunt at the Hill country natural area no luck out of 30 people there was 1 whitetail doe & 1 hog taken. Everyone said they just wern't seeing any game.

good luck on the hunt its a beautiful place

Ridgeback3

Ridgeback3 writes about

Looking for a Axis doe hunt for my daughter and i for a meat hunt does anyone know of a good place. Somewhere in the Hill country that doesnt want to charge a arm and leg & want you to pay a guide fee looking for something in the area of $200 a doe

Thanks

Forums >> Texas Hunting >> General Hunting >> Hill Country State Natural Area

Forums Statistics:

• There are 27889 registered site users.
  • There are currently -24 active users on the site.
  • There are currently 0 registered users that active are on the site (and signed in).
  • There are currently -8 active users in the Forums.

Welcome to the newest registered users: Retired Army Guy Ttugrad2000 neternakon zatty

Google Adsense 728x90 Leaderboard

Explore Forums Through Common Keywords:

hunting rigs points family hunters wildlife texas lake season shad crankbaits priority striped buck shot bow cut bait hunts trout land dove lakes wild soft minnows shrimp turkey public county gun target traps redfish nightcrawlers deer topwaters brush striper hog jigs shoot rifle buy catfish worms blue game spinnerbaits bass recreational ranch call fish plastics slabs south fishing fishboat hunt first lease bucks www.tpwd.state.tx.us channel outdoors hunter shooting yellow hogs crappie locked