7. Circle NA (821)
  8. rosiedarling89 (602)
  9. pointman (600)
  10. repfluger (501)

Forums >> Texas Hunting >> Texas Deer Hunting >> Bag limit changes

Bag limit changes

wheeless621
wheeless621
wheeless621 writes about Bag limit changeswheeless621 writes about Bag limit changeswheeless621 writes about Bag limit changeswheeless621 writes about Bag limit changeswheeless621 writes about Bag limit changeswheeless621 writes about Bag limit changeswheeless621 writes about Bag limit changes
Brown county

Was just reading some of the publications on the TPWD web-site. One of the things discussed was a sweeping raise of whitetail bag limits across the state. It would raise the limits in many if not most counties that aren't already 5 deer counties.

Just wanted to hear everyones opinions on this.

Guns don't kill people....Its those pesky little bullets making lots of holes that all the blood leaks out of.

Google Adsense 728x90 Leaderboard

RE: Bag limit changes

wheeless621
wheeless621
wheeless621 writes about wheeless621 writes about wheeless621 writes about wheeless621 writes about wheeless621 writes about wheeless621 writes about wheeless621 writes about
Brown county

It's the same page Ryan posted covering the 13" rule.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/newsmedia/releases/?req=20081110a

Guns don't kill people....Its those pesky little bullets making lots of holes that all the blood leaks out of.

wohalliburton
wohalliburton
wohalliburton writes about wohalliburton writes about wohalliburton writes about wohalliburton writes about wohalliburton writes about wohalliburton writes about wohalliburton writes about wohalliburton writes about wohalliburton writes about wohalliburton writes about

Thankfully they're not looking at increased harvests for most of the NE Texas counties, except some of them having increased seasons, which is probably a good thing.  Not being a biologist or anything, but it seems to me with the degree of timber cutting and reforestation in pines in that area, and the subsequent loss of high-quality habitat, the deer herd could not sustain an increased harvest like that.

RanchRat

RanchRat writes about
Young county

First thing you have to look at is what county/counties do you normally hunt.

Some counties and some localized areas in some counties may not have the numbers of deer to support an increase in the bag limit.

The thing everyone needs to keep in mind however, is that just because the bag limit in a county is increased, No One is forced to kill their bag limit, are they???

Also, on other sites, many hunters are openly makig the choice, to not shoot does.

They are only going to shoot bucks.

With the sex ratios in many counties already out of whack, what kind of Deer Managers are these type hunters????

Deer numbers in many areas of the state are at or way above the carrying capacity of the available range, so what are these hunters trying to accomplish, by leaving more deer in the herd, and thereby reducing the amount of forage those bucks are going to have available to grow the type antlers they are wanting to take?????????

hornhunter

hornhunter writes about hornhunter writes about hornhunter writes about hornhunter writes about hornhunter writes about hornhunter writes about hornhunter writes about hornhunter writes about hornhunter writes about hornhunter writes about

I agree with you Randall. We hunt in a 5 deer county, Crockett county. We as hunters on our lease have imposed a deer management program upon ourselves. We can only take one "Trophy class deer",one management deer. We also require our hunters to take 2 doe per hunter as we have a large surplus of doe. We usually take the doe and management deer the first 2 weekends of season before the rut.

wizer_dude
wizer_dude
wizer_dude writes about
McCulloch county

I usually hunt in the SHNF not too far from Stubblefield Camp Ground and having the limits increased from 1 to 2 might be a good gesture on TWPD part.  However, having to also implement 13 inch inside beams on a buck might as well be a death sentence to anyone who ever hoped to kill a buck in the SHNF.

I was lucky enough to draw a doe tag for the 2008 deer season and didn't get a chance to use it... never saw either a buck or doe.  The doe tags are very specific for harvesting an animal and can only be used in the forest that was specified when the person applied for the permit.

The USFS states that statistically only one in six doe tags are ever used.

I hunt for meat only... don't care if I ever shoot a trophy class buck.  One good size doe of 125 lbs will take care of my nutritional needs for several months.  I actually prefer to shoot a doe over a buck.

I'll just apply for another doe tag for the 2009-2010 season and hunt much harder to find a quality doe to take up the enlarging space in my freezer.

TORCHE

TORCHE writes about

ANTLERS

Its the best news Iv'e heard in a lot of years! my county has been limited to one buck for probably 15-20 years. (lampasas county) just recently they went to the 13" spread rule but that ain't no good. who wants to shot such a small deer? i welcome any bag limit change and praise it!

• Bag limit changes

RanchRat

RanchRat writes about
Young county

The problem with any bag increase in any county, it is Voluntary, not Mandatory.

Just because TP&W increases a counties bag limit, it does not force hunters to take the limit or that or any other county or the limit for the state.

The problems the state is facing in managing the deer in the state are multi-facetd.

Declining numbers of hunters.

Hunters hunting only for trophies and not killing does.

Increasing population of deer state wide.

Loss of habitat, and hunter access to both Public and Private land.

Probably if a person looks around they can find other reasons why TP&W is trying to get folks to shoot more white tails.

I don't believe all their ministrations are going to make any difference.

I envision the day, and just a couple of seasons away, where Texas will have a season like Mississippi and other Southern / SouthEastern states, A Deer A Day.

I foreseee the situationonly deteriorating in the future as hunter numbers continue to decline, hunters get more selective as to what they will or will not shoot,and as deer continue to breed and increase in numbers.

waco oso

waco oso writes about

Wow why don't you just say the sky is falling while your at it. We have more hunters and more hunting pressure than ever in north texas, and with urbans sprawl eating up habitat I don't think we will ever see the deer population get so high they institute a deer a day policy. I think much of texas would do good to totally make bucks off limits for a few years and make some of these hunters take does. Hunter numbers are not declining, people who buy hunting licenses are declining.

hornhunter

hornhunter writes about hornhunter writes about hornhunter writes about hornhunter writes about hornhunter writes about hornhunter writes about hornhunter writes about hornhunter writes about hornhunter writes about hornhunter writes about

If you want to truely manage your deer heard, you must first know how many deer are on your property +/- and try to maintain a buck to doe ratio. However, just because the law says you can take X-number of deer does not mean you must take that many. I am all for anyone taking the number of deer he or she will eat during any given year, but a certain amount of common sense should be employed. Allways consider the deer herd and the number of deer that your place can support. Hunt accordingly. The final decision is allways up to the hunter before you squeeze the trigger.

Forums >> Texas Hunting >> Texas Deer Hunting >> Bag limit changes

Forums Statistics:

• There are 27889 registered site users.
  • There are currently -1 active users on the site.
  • There are currently 0 registered users that active are on the site (and signed in).
  • There are currently -8 active users in the Forums.

Welcome to the newest registered users: Retired Army Guy Ttugrad2000 neternakon zatty

Google Adsense 728x90 Leaderboard

Explore Forums Through Common Keywords:

lake lease slabs hunts bucks rigs shot hunting outdoors soft www.tpwd.state.tx.us hogs priority turkey minnows deer shrimp spinnerbaits points land family ranch catfish fish south traps crankbaits striped jigs buy nightcrawlers fishing topwaters hunt recreational shad fishboat shooting hog striper hunter call buck lakes hunters blue public wildlife worms trout season channel bass game brush redfish first crappie bow bait target shoot rifle cut texas dove yellow locked county gun plastics wild