7. Circle NA (821)
  8. rosiedarling89 (602)
  9. pointman (600)
  10. repfluger (501)

Forums >> Texas Hunting >> Texas Deer Hunting >> Do Raccoons eat protien

Do Raccoons eat protien

brown9s

brown9s writes about Do Raccoons eat protien

I'm am going to start feeding protien for the first time, this year and was wondering if raccoons are a problem on protien like they are on corn feeders.  If they are what are some ways to keep them out. I will be using the gravity type feeders.

Google Adsense 728x90 Leaderboard

RE: Do Raccoons eat protien

duckwhacker
duckwhacker
duckwhacker writes about duckwhacker writes about duckwhacker writes about duckwhacker writes about duckwhacker writes about duckwhacker writes about duckwhacker writes about duckwhacker writes about duckwhacker writes about duckwhacker writes about
Palo Pinto county

We have grown some Boone and Crockett 'coons and squirrels with our protein feeders!

Keep yer eyes peeled!

Ryan Campbell
Ryan Campbell
Ryan Campbell writes about Ryan Campbell writes about

Yes they definately eat protein.  Almost every trail cam pic we have on a protein feeder has a pic of a coon in it.  We've been trapping them a lot using a leg hold trap called a "lil griz".  They put their paw in to grab a marshmallow with vanilla extract on it.  When they start to pull out the marshmallow it springs the trap and grabs their paw far enough up their let that they cant chew it off.  It hold them very well. 

We've also used other methods that I've advised against admitting to on an open forum....ahem.

The Hunt goes on forever, the season never ends. http://www.hossfly.com 979 777 1725

hornhunter

hornhunter writes about hornhunter writes about hornhunter writes about hornhunter writes about hornhunter writes about hornhunter writes about hornhunter writes about hornhunter writes about hornhunter writes about hornhunter writes about

Coons and feeders are a way of life in the great out of doors. my trail cams almost allways show 3-4 FAT coons at night. My feeders have varment screens on them, but they pick up whats on the ground as well as hanging onto the screens to try to get at the mother load. I have one pict of a BIG coon hanging upside down with one paw trying to get at the feed. He climbed (SHOWS HIM IN THE PICT) up a slick leg pole to get there. They don't seem to bother the deer though.

JWShiner
JWShiner
JWShiner writes about

LOL, William. I must have his twin at my old lease. I have the same pictures. I'll see if I can find the pic. We had a raccon we named bruiser that chased a small black bear off at my families hunting cabin. (Northern Pennsylvania). Have to admit they are a very intelligent, but dont taste all that great. I use to make money trapping them as a kid. I've seen people put angled wires around the legs of a feeder to stop them from climbing up.

• Do Raccoons eat protien

JWShiner
JWShiner
JWShiner writes about

wohalliburton
wohalliburton
wohalliburton writes about wohalliburton writes about wohalliburton writes about wohalliburton writes about wohalliburton writes about wohalliburton writes about wohalliburton writes about wohalliburton writes about wohalliburton writes about wohalliburton writes about

Racoons will eat just about anything...and they just LOVE protein!  I used to know a rancher in WTX that kept his Ridgeback dog in the truck with him at night when he picked up his hunters.  He'd go by the feeders first, and if he saw any coons he'd just let the dog out of the truck to handle his dirty work.

That dog got quite a workout during deer season.

doubledrop

doubledrop writes about

Take a 3 to 3 1/2 ft length of 4" or 6" diameter pvc pipe and slide it onto each feeder leg. Drill a small hole at the top of each pvc pipe and attach a thin wire to it. Take the other end of the wire and tie it to where the feeder legs attach to the feeder. Use the correct length of wire to suspend the pvc pipe between the bottom of the feeder and the ground. You want the pvc to fit sloppy on the feeder legs. Not only is the pvc slick, but when the coon tries to crawl onto it, it will spin and throw the coon off. I have attached a picture to show the setup. I have taken thousands of pictures at this feeder and have never had a coon sitting on the feed ports. I'll have coons sitting under the feeder cleaning up what the deer have dropped, but at least they are not sitting up there shoveling it onto the ground themselves. You also need to have the bottom of your feed tube 38" - 40" of the ground, otherwise a coon can reach it and pull himself up onto it. You can use this same setup on a corn slinger. I hope this helps you feed more to the deer and less to the coons.

BBGUNKILLER

BBGUNKILLER writes about

OKAY

I bought a gammo air rifle and a red light and i go to my feeders at night ,it works great.The east texas town closest to where i hunt is where i sell the coons meat [one foot left attached for verification]after i skin and gut them .They bring 20-25 dollars each ,african/americans bbq them i have had some its not bad.Problem solved!

wizer_dude
wizer_dude
wizer_dude writes about
McCulloch county

Probably shouldn't admit you sell the coon meat... unless you have a trapper's license. It's unlawful to sell any part of a fur bearing animal unless you have a trapper's license (in Texas). You may hunt and kill coons with just a hunter's license, but can only use the coon for your personal use. I've been wanting a coon skin cap just like ol' Daniel Boone and just might make one coon make the ultimate sacrifice... LOL.

murphy1961
murphy1961
murphy1961 writes about murphy1961 writes about

We have been discussing this issue with our landowner and the biologist at the A&M Experiment Station in Sonora. The station did a study feeding whole cottonseed, there is a natural inhibitor in cottonseed that upsets the raccoons stomach and they do not touch the stuff after a couple encounters. Only problem is the cottonseed is costly to transport and get into specialized feeders and conventional deer protein after all consideration is cheaper. But our landowner has been looking into pelletized protein made from cottonseed that could potentially have the same effect on raccoons as whole cottonseed and is less expensive than conventional protein by about $30 per ton.

Forums >> Texas Hunting >> Texas Deer Hunting >> Do Raccoons eat protien

Forums Statistics:

• There are 27889 registered site users.
  • There are currently -3 active users on the site.
  • There are currently 0 registered users that active are on the site (and signed in).
  • There are currently -3 active users in the Forums.

Welcome to the newest registered users: Retired Army Guy Ttugrad2000 neternakon zatty

Google Adsense 728x90 Leaderboard

Explore Forums Through Common Keywords:

outdoors wild call lakes game minnows dove points hunts soft wildlife south plastics topwaters bucks deer county first slabs hogs target buck shooting priority spinnerbaits catfish bait brush trout hunters shrimp fishboat gun public hog blue season bow rigs crappie lake worms crankbaits cut redfish yellow jigs locked nightcrawlers traps hunt land ranch www.tpwd.state.tx.us lease channel striper hunter recreational fishing rifle fish shad shoot texas buy turkey bass shot striped hunting family