3. ctbrown17 (2274)
  4. Hunter X (1158)
  5. huntexas (1025)
  6. scott dye (908)
  7. Circle NA (821)
  8. rosiedarling89 (602)
  9. pointman (600)
  10. repfluger (501)

Forums >> Let's Talk Texas Outdoors >> Wildlife Management >> How many deer per acre?

How many deer per acre?

larrymeador

larrymeador writes about How many deer per acre?

SAD

Can anyone give me an approximate deer to acre hunting ratio for the land just southwest of Rocksprings?

I've got a neighbor that has shot a lot of deer this year.......

Google Adsense 728x90 Leaderboard

RE: How many deer per acre?

Jason Parrish
Jason Parrish
Jason Parrish writes about Jason Parrish writes about Jason Parrish writes about Jason Parrish writes about Jason Parrish writes about Jason Parrish writes about Jason Parrish writes about Jason Parrish writes about Jason Parrish writes about Jason Parrish writes about
Travis county

my guess is you want one deer per 15 acres for healthy free range without supplemental feed.

Hunt Hard. Fish Smart. Explore Texas.

wohalliburton
wohalliburton
wohalliburton writes about wohalliburton writes about wohalliburton writes about wohalliburton writes about wohalliburton writes about wohalliburton writes about wohalliburton writes about wohalliburton writes about wohalliburton writes about wohalliburton writes about

The land around Rocksprings is highly variable, especially as you go north of there.  TPWD gives a number of between 10-20 acres, link here and go to page 20 for all the assumptions and qualifications.

shamgartw
shamgartw
shamgartw writes about

CRYING

Larry, This may sound a little funny but I have a friend on a lease that is wondering if others on his lease have taken too many deer.  I am wondering if this could be your neighbor.  My friend has not been out to hunt but 2 or 3 hunts and each time he has heard shots on his lease.  If you could contact me via email shamgartw@yahoo.com would be much appreciated.  Thanks.

Lamentations 3:12 - "He hath bent his bow and set me as a mark for the arrow."

tufffish
tufffish
tufffish writes about
Trinity county

i hunt between rocksprings and sonora and the game biologists survey this year came up to a deer per 10 acres on a 15,000 acre ranch.

Camp09
Camp09
Camp09 writes about
Brazoria county

i hunt on our family ranch just southwest of rocksprings where exactly are you at?

cause acouple of the ranches around us got sold off into smaller plots

larrymeador

larrymeador writes about

I'm about 17 miles SW of Rocksprings off 377.  Turkey Creek Subdivision that was once part of the Davis Ranch, and is now behind the Davis Ranch off of CR 441.

kenjayne
kenjayne
kenjayne writes about
Harris county

The TPWD reference recommended by WOHalliburton is an excellent resource. I would recomment downloading it to your deer/wildlife file. Being honest, probably one reason that I like it is that they reach basically the same conclusions and make the same recommendations that I do!

It is a good guide, but not the gospel for every situation. However, if you know the basic principles contained therein, you will have the necessary information to make the best decision for your particular situation.

Thanks for recommending this WOH.

Ken Jayne "Bald Eagle"

huntindiancreek

huntindiancreek writes about
Williamson county

Im a new member and really enjoy this website.  My family is thinking about purchasing land southwest of rocksprings.  We are looking around the indian creek ranches for some land.  Does anyone know of that area and can you tell me a little bit about it?

Brian

larrymeador

larrymeador writes about

The land in that area is a combination of hills and valleys which is very dry and rocky.  Soil is very shallow and cedar is rampant.  There are a lot of scrub oak and live oak that will grow well if you get rid of some of the water sucking cedar.  Deer seem to be slightly larger than their cousins just north around 150 miles.  The axis deer have not made it deep into this area.  There are a few scattered here and there, but they usually don't last long.

Texas Outdoors
Texas Outdoors
Texas Outdoors writes about Texas Outdoors writes about Texas Outdoors writes about Texas Outdoors writes about Texas Outdoors writes about Texas Outdoors writes about Texas Outdoors writes about Texas Outdoors writes about Texas Outdoors writes about Texas Outdoors writes about

Brian, my company Texas Wildlife Unlimited, does a lot of wildlife management work around Rock Springs.  I would be happy to discuss the wildlife management situation associated with that area.  If you are interested, send me an e-mail at john@texashuntfish.com.

If you go to our website www.wildlifemanagementtexas.com you can see an aerial of a few of the properties we are working on in that area on the Recent Projects page.

Forums >> Let's Talk Texas Outdoors >> Wildlife Management >> How many deer per acre?

Forums Statistics:

• There are 27889 registered site users.
  • There are currently 0 active users on the site.
  • There are currently 0 registered users that active are on the site (and signed in).
  • There are currently -9 active users in the Forums.

Welcome to the newest registered users: Retired Army Guy Ttugrad2000 neternakon zatty

Google Adsense 728x90 Leaderboard

Explore Forums Through Common Keywords:

dove target lake public trout jigs hunt plastics redfish land call cut turkey nightcrawlers rigs family hunts shot crankbaits fishboat soft south bait gun locked topwaters season fish hunters traps lease buck www.tpwd.state.tx.us deer priority minnows points hunter worms shooting striped ranch buy fishing first brush hunting rifle lakes crappie bucks channel hog shoot shrimp slabs hogs wildlife game shad recreational catfish blue county texas yellow outdoors bass wild spinnerbaits bow striper