3. ctbrown17 (2274)
  4. Hunter X (1212)
  5. huntexas (1025)
  6. scott dye (910)
  7. Circle NA (821)
  8. rosiedarling89 (602)
  9. pointman (600)
  10. repfluger (501)

Forums >> Texas Hunting >> Texas Deer Hunting >> Texas Deer Regulations: Centerfire Rifles

Texas Deer Regulations: Centerfire Rifles

barco

barco writes about Texas Deer Regulations:  Centerfire Rifles

I took the Texas Hunter Safety course.  One of the things they stressed including on the test is that you can ONLY use centerfire catridges to kill Deer in Texas.  The instructor even gave an example of having taken down the deer with a high powered rifle, and then coming up and taking the deer out of its misery using a 22 as also illegal.

The problem with this is the 22 Hornet is a CENTERFIRE catridge.  So if I'm understanding this, the 22 Hornet is a legal round to shoot a deer with.  Now, I'm not saying that I would do this....however, this seems like a "stupid" rule to me.  Everywhere I have hunted in the past, the rule is you can't use a 22 catridge period....centerfire or rimfire.

Am I missing something here....  Do the rule makers not know that there is a 22 centerfire varmint round?  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.22_Hornet

Google Adsense 728x90 Leaderboard

RE: Texas Deer Regulations: Centerfire Rifles

FishFearMe

FishFearMe writes about

Hey Mike,

As silly as it sounds, you are correct.  You can lawfully hunt deer with a .22 Hornet.  I do not recommend it and I doubt that any responsible deer hunter would consider this option but it has been done.  Again, it's all about bullet placement. 

El General

El General writes about

That is indeed the law, and more states are changing there laws to reflect this (Minnesota, I believe is the most recent).  I have personally shot 15 deer with a .22 Hornet, and I can assure you, all were dead within 50 yards of where they were hit.  Many of those were typical boiler room heart/lung shots.  Of course, the ones behind the ear were dead right there.

Texas deer are small, and whitetail do not wear armor despite what you would assume by the calibre choices of many.

barco

barco writes about

No doubt...I have seen dogs bigger than some Texas deer.  ;)

SUPERG
SUPERG
SUPERG writes about SUPERG writes about SUPERG writes about SUPERG writes about SUPERG writes about SUPERG writes about SUPERG writes about

Yep, this is a case of the law not catching up to the technology. When these laws were written there were no .17 HMR or .22 Hornets. Pretty much everything below .223 was a rimfire at that time. One of the numerous things they need to look into and update.

"Hate me if you want to, Love me if you can" Git-R-Done!

wohalliburton
wohalliburton
wohalliburton writes about wohalliburton writes about wohalliburton writes about wohalliburton writes about wohalliburton writes about wohalliburton writes about wohalliburton writes about wohalliburton writes about wohalliburton writes about wohalliburton writes about

Small caliber bullets can often work.  But, the problem is sometimes they don't and you get a mortally wounded deer that runs off and can't be recovered.  Bullet placement is the key, but I can tell you personally that even a well-placed round doesn't always work as planned.

gman
gman
gman writes about gman writes about gman writes about gman writes about gman writes about gman writes about gman writes about gman writes about gman writes about gman writes about

I know it sounds like the 22 hornet is lite but I have personally seen the hornet take out 250+ lbs boars. I would never hunt deer with the caliber but it is still legal to hunt deer with the hornet.

mirhay2

mirhay2 writes about

GOOFY

This is all very new to me.If I am understanding correctly, I could hunt deer in Texas with my 22-250? If so , is this gun actually big enough for deer hunting?Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Jkenley

Jkenley writes about

I hunt with a 22 hornet. It is all in placement.  My gun was passed down to me by my Granma. I see no reason to shot anything bigger if it works well for me. Everyone in my family has used this gun and had wonderful success. My sister shots a 243 and my other sister shots a 7mm.  The 7mm was a free gift. LOL  It's pretty cool to watch your 60yr old sister shot a gun that big. We lost our Daddy 2 years ago this fall. This deer is for you Daddy. Happy hunting this year yall.

• Texas Deer Regulations:  Centerfire Rifles

kenjayne
kenjayne
kenjayne writes about
Harris county

It is against the law to HUNT whitetail deer, mule deer, desert bighorn sheep, and pronghorn antelope with rimfire ammunition of any caliber.

If you have legally shot any of the above and upon approaching the down animal, you discover that it is still breathing and suffering, no game warden is going to ticket you for shooting it in the head with your .22 pistol instead of blowing another .30 caliber hole in it. This does not apply when bow hunting during archery season. Even though a CHL may carry his weapon while bow hunting, I think that using it to dispatch a wounded deer would be wrong. Neither does it apply if the animal is still mobile.

As for shooting deer sized animals, even adult hogs, with .22 caliber centerfires, although it is legal. I recommend against it. Yes, you can kill a deer with a .22 centerfire. Many deer are killed by poachers with .22 long rifle catridges. However, shot plaeement must be perfect. If you are off even a little bit, the chances of the animal being able to run off and die a lingering death are much higher with a small caliber with out much shock power than with a larger caliber. I have looked for too many deer that a hunter shot with his favorite .22 (.223, .222, 22-250, etc.) and failed to find them until days later. Not only did the deer not go down, it failed to leave a good blood trail.

If you are an expert shot and you really want to use your .22 centerfire, that becomes a personal decision. However, it it is the animal, not you, which must deal with a less than perfect shot and a lingering death.

In my humble opinion, a "deer cartridge" should deliver at least 1000 ft.lbs at the desired range. With the proper bullet, it should penetrate through the animal, while expanding and producing a wound channel that will deliver both traumatic shock and a visible blood trail.

Welcome to the hunting community! I wish you great success. Just remember, it is better to say, "Maybe I should have taken that shot." , than, "I wish I hadn't taken that shot."

Enjoy your time outdoors with God's nature and wildlife. Render it the respect that it deserves and you will have a life filled with good memories.

As the Jaegers (German hunters) say, "Waidmann Heil!" (Hail to the hunter!)

Ken Jayne, aka, Baldeagle6

Ken Jayne "Bald Eagle"

HuntallofTX

HuntallofTX writes about

I have hunted all over texas my entire life, shooting all kinds of calibers.  The best by far i believe for shooting does is the 22 hornet or 22-250. One shot to the skull cap and they dont ever run. Why waste the meat. Also in my opinion, it the most humane why to shoot a deer they never feel a thing. They fall where they stand. Now when hunting Mule Deer, Elk, Pronghorn and other spieces where range is a factor of course you should use a 30 caliber rifle you need to have the knock down power at the long ranges. but if its under 200 yards and doesnt have horns .22 caliber bullet to the head does it every time.   

Forums >> Texas Hunting >> Texas Deer Hunting >> Texas Deer Regulations: Centerfire Rifles

Forums Statistics:

• There are 27889 registered site users.
  • There are currently -20 active users on the site.
  • There are currently 0 registered users that active are on the site (and signed in).
  • There are currently 0 active users in the Forums.

Welcome to the newest registered users: Retired Army Guy Ttugrad2000 neternakon zatty

Google Adsense 728x90 Leaderboard

Explore Forums Through Common Keywords:

bait target shooting bass blue lakes first wild lake deer soft gun hunters bow land channel south turkey wildlife traps game fishing dove hogs fish hunting slabs redfish striped bucks shot hunter yellow recreational season county ranch topwaters spinnerbaits buck locked hunt family call buy fishboat rifle public nightcrawlers plastics hunts shoot striper jigs crankbaits cut lease crappie brush worms outdoors shad www.tpwd.state.tx.us hog catfish trout points priority minnows texas rigs shrimp