3. ctbrown17 (2274)
  4. Hunter X (1185)
  5. huntexas (1025)
  6. scott dye (908)
  7. Circle NA (821)
  8. rosiedarling89 (602)
  9. pointman (600)
  10. repfluger (501)

Forums >> Texas Hunting >> Gun Talk >> What size pistol is the best for Hog hunting?

What size pistol is the best for Hog hunting?

summitmrg2000

summitmrg2000 writes about What size pistol is the best for Hog hunting?

I'm looking a buying a pistol to go hog hunging with.  I"m looking at getting a .40cal but wondering if anyone else thinks I would be looking at something bigger or smaller? 

I'm looking at a S&W M&P 40cal.  I plan to put a laser on it along with a light.  I plan to use it mostly at night. (and bow hunt during the day)

Would this be a good setup or is there something better.  This will be my first pistol, I can't wait to buy it.

Google Adsense 728x90 Leaderboard

RE: What size pistol is the best for Hog hunting?

Jason Parrish
Jason Parrish
Jason Parrish writes about Jason Parrish writes about Jason Parrish writes about Jason Parrish writes about Jason Parrish writes about Jason Parrish writes about Jason Parrish writes about Jason Parrish writes about Jason Parrish writes about Jason Parrish writes about
Travis county

I have a Sig P226 40cal with a crimson trace laser in the handgrip. I bought it as an all around backup gun for hunting and concealed carry. If I were specifically hog hunting, I would rather use my .44 cal ruger super redhawk.

Applicable links are here:

http://www.crimsontrace.com/

This is my exact .40 cal: http://www.impactguns.com/store/610242003266.html

This is my exact .44 cal: http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/FAFamily?type=Revolver&subtype=Double%20Action&famlst=7

Hunt Hard. Fish Smart. Explore Texas.

summitmrg2000

summitmrg2000 writes about

Jason, Thanks for the input.   We actually met last spring down at Dos Plumas.  I thought your .40 was  sweet so I decided that I had to have one myself when we go down this spring. 

BTR Outdoors

BTR Outdoors writes about

I wouldn't reccomend a .40 for pigs. Granted, my brother dropped a 300 pound Russion with a .17 HMR, for close quarters hunting that a handgun mandates, I use either my Ruger Super Blackhawk .44, my S&W .41, or a S&W .357, all magnums. I would only trust that .357 to a well placed shot with my custom loads, but the other two have plenty of stopping power.

REDGUN

REDGUN writes about

There was an article in Texas Trophy Hunter magazine where a man was bowhunting hogs. Long story short, a wounded hog w/3 or 4 arrows in him turned and attacked. The man had a glock 10mm and shot the hog 5-7 times in the face and head at about 1-2 FEET before finally killing it. If i were to go hog "hunting" with a pistol, i will be carrying a larger caliber. As a side note, i would rather have ANY pistol in my hand than a bow if a hog attacked me.

SteveC
SteveC
SteveC writes about

I agree with the magnum power issue. I have heard about some hard to kill hogs that turn mean. I own a .40 cal and a .44 mag. The .40 cal is for killing intruders in my home and the .44 mag is for hunting.

wheeless621
wheeless621
wheeless621 writes about wheeless621 writes about wheeless621 writes about wheeless621 writes about wheeless621 writes about wheeless621 writes about wheeless621 writes about
Brown county

My Hog-gun setup.  S&W 629 44Mag. w/ red-dot scope.

• What size pistol is the best for Hog hunting?

Guns don't kill people....Its those pesky little bullets making lots of holes that all the blood leaks out of.

wohalliburton
wohalliburton
wohalliburton writes about wohalliburton writes about wohalliburton writes about wohalliburton writes about wohalliburton writes about wohalliburton writes about wohalliburton writes about wohalliburton writes about wohalliburton writes about wohalliburton writes about

What size pistol is best fo hog hunting?  The biggest gun that I could shoot well and survive!

bill barrick
bill barrick
bill barrick writes about bill barrick writes about bill barrick writes about bill barrick writes about bill barrick writes about bill barrick writes about bill barrick writes about
Montgomery county

HAPPY

Using a 357 mag at 70 yards bullet struck the approx 300 lb hog in the ribs angling a little forward. The hog ran sideways down the trail about 7 yards before she could get straightened out. We tracked it for about 400 yards finding a drop of blood every 30 feet at first then nothing ....... I bought a 44 mag Ruger Vaquero.

Traditionalist

wohalliburton
wohalliburton
wohalliburton writes about wohalliburton writes about wohalliburton writes about wohalliburton writes about wohalliburton writes about wohalliburton writes about wohalliburton writes about wohalliburton writes about wohalliburton writes about wohalliburton writes about

I'm no expert, but I would think bullet construction would be critical whenever you pistol hunt for hogs.  Most pistol rounds are built for rapid expansion.  That's not usually a good approach for hogs in my experience.

summitmrg2000

summitmrg2000 writes about

Sounds like everyone agrees, 44 Mag is the way to go.  Any one have an opinion on a specific gun. 

Swanyriver
Swanyriver
Swanyriver writes about

S+W 41 mag with a 6" barrell, they never flinch.

udamdan
udamdan
udamdan writes about udamdan writes about udamdan writes about
Dallas county

How bout a Ruger P90DC .45 Cal Auto  hehe

[image]

aggydaddy

aggydaddy writes about

HAPPY

Have to agree with the evolving consensus in the responses to your post...I'm trying to think if you can make a hole in a hog that's too big.  In the meantime you could stun 'em at least with the .40 and hope it gives you enough time to grab a 12 gauge with 00 buck to finalize things.  If you have to follow up a wounded hog in the bush,  make sure you save one .40 for yourself

big gun

big gun writes about

I have used 44mag and it work good. Last time I hog hunted I used my 460 S & W now that is my gun of choice. drop them in there tracks. but the 460 is not for the faint of heart. It has lots of power.

shylohjacobs

shylohjacobs writes about

HAPPY

Thank you for sharing this inquiry. I found myself in a similar situaion not to long ago. I looked into <a href="http://lawenforcementtacticalgear.com" target="_blank">

FLAlady

FLAlady writes about

HAPPY

Personally, I use a .45 colt  chambered in a Magnum Research BFR with a holographic sight.

The weight of the weapon makes for a negligable recoil. I have a lot of flexability on my ammo, from 225 gr wadcutters, to 300 grain semi jacketed rounds that I'd not hesitate to use on bear or elk.

My hog loads are 200 grain hornedy xtp's  backed with 8.6 grs of unique. I don't bother with trying to get the sweet spot' I just stuff a round in his ear, and he goes down.

Body shots are problematic, in that , the pig is "armored with a thick internal layer of gristle and fat. The neck or head shot obviates trying to hit the "sweet spot" and with a hollow point like the xtp, well....

warm up the smoker , I've got bacon comin..

• What size pistol is the best for Hog hunting?

buckshot2012

buckshot2012 writes about

kimber target eclipes 2 1911 45auto with a 10 round mag with lazer grips and night sights will blow holes in all most any pigs head and i wont go hunting any where theres pigs with out it

wyatt08@comcast.net

wyatt08@comcast.net writes about

SHAKE

Please give opinions on th Ruger Redhawk 4" 45 colt as a hunting handgun. I've read that it can be loaded to use on just about anything. How will it work on wild boars, etc. ?

bwhp

bwhp writes about

Would you advise on using a Ruger Vaquero 45 colt if so what would I use as far as load or if you even would. As I am looking to buy a .44 mag rifle either a Winchester or Rossi carbine and would use the pistol for a back up. As well as the Ruger mentioned above I also have a Kahr .45 ASP so would the auto be better then the single action? 

OneRaggedHole
OneRaggedHole
OneRaggedHole writes about
Denton county

I work with a couple guys that use a 40 S&W on pigs, but many of their stories are not very sportsman like. Hog or otherwise I believe all animals deserve a clean kill.

IMO, 44 magnum (very common round, easy to find and lots of options) or more powerful. Hogs are not whitetail deer, they are significantly tougher animals. I also have a Marlin 1894SS and it is one of the most fun rifles I own. Chrony'd my 180 grain pistol loads at over 2400 fps out of that rifle.

Ash

Ash writes about

I hunt in MO. and my last 400lb. boar was shot with my 500S&W at 40yds. using barnes bullit 

Forums >> Texas Hunting >> Gun Talk >> What size pistol is the best for Hog hunting?

Forums Statistics:

• There are 27889 registered site users.
  • There are currently -1 active users on the site.
  • There are currently 0 registered users that active are on the site (and signed in).
  • There are currently -2 active users in the Forums.

Welcome to the newest registered users: Retired Army Guy Ttugrad2000 neternakon zatty

Google Adsense 728x90 Leaderboard

Explore Forums Through Common Keywords:

ranch nightcrawlers rifle topwaters hunting county hunts deer call outdoors rigs striped soft channel priority www.tpwd.state.tx.us striper fishing game buck south shoot yellow cut locked brush bow hunt fishboat shooting slabs buy family catfish lease wildlife crankbaits gun lakes season hogs redfish first trout texas spinnerbaits shrimp worms lake fish land points hog bait wild target hunter minnows bucks bass crappie dove shot shad traps jigs blue hunters recreational plastics public turkey