10. repfluger (501)

Forums >> Texas Hunting >> Texas Deer Hunting >> Arrow Head

Arrow Head

nkoi
nkoi
nkoi writes about Arrow Head

I received this e-mail yesterday.....

You won't believe this one.
I was hunting out in Sidney this past weekend for my muzzleloader buck.

Well I got him… I'll make a long story short.
First off, Mike kept telling me he saw a buck with an arrow through his head.
I thought he was full of it, but he kept telling me he saw it again.
Saturday evening we saw this buck jumping around going out of control from about 350 yards away.
Mike told me it was probably the one with the arrow in its head.
The buck was with another one that night.
The next morning I sat up in the tree stand and waited, all of a sudden at about 10 minutes after sun up,  there were two bucks that came right to the side of my stand, 30 yards.  I saw the arrow instantly and didn't know what to think.
Anyways, he ended up giving me a shot and I took him.
Looks like the arrow was in there probably at least a couple months or more.
No blood or anything and you could move the arrow.
Now check out the pics!

• Arrow Head
  • Arrow Head
  • Arrow Head
  • Arrow Head

Google Adsense 728x90 Leaderboard

RE: Arrow Head

Brian43
Brian43
Brian43 writes about Brian43 writes about Brian43 writes about Brian43 writes about
Travis county

Thats weird!

Brian M Thomas Yard of Dreams Landscape Co.

Gus

Gus writes about

ANTLERS_2 Thanks for shooting him, it was the humane thing to do. 

sewhunt

sewhunt writes about

I think this is a proof that we should place shots on the shoulder, not on the head.

henny

henny writes about

I've seen that on another forum heard it was a spoof. I see no entry wound on that deer or no blood. hmmm....But hey weird looking deer... I would be freaked out if I saw that on the field.

TX_Kevin
TX_Kevin
TX_Kevin writes about TX_Kevin writes about TX_Kevin writes about TX_Kevin writes about
Fort Bend county

I've actually done something similar to that with a bow. An arrow can hit a small twig you can't see, the deer hears it and whirls, and crack. Mine was in the other direction and happened to be perfectly between the eyes. It dropped like a rock too. I was lucky.

That penetration is about right too, though mine was more (84 pound bow). It could be real.

Deer are amazingly resilient. What a survivor.

wheeless621
wheeless621
wheeless621 writes about wheeless621 writes about wheeless621 writes about wheeless621 writes about wheeless621 writes about wheeless621 writes about wheeless621 writes about
Brown county

If I had to give my opinion of the picture.  I would say that the arrow through the head is real, but the story is bogus.  If you look at the third picture, the arrow still has blood all over it.

Guns don't kill people....Its those pesky little bullets making lots of holes that all the blood leaks out of.

mrbigtexan
mrbigtexan
mrbigtexan writes about mrbigtexan writes about mrbigtexan writes about mrbigtexan writes about mrbigtexan writes about mrbigtexan writes about mrbigtexan writes about mrbigtexan writes about
Moore county

wow, you dont see that everyday

glazlad

glazlad writes about

Bowhunting Is illegal in the UK and indeed most of Europe. I work in animal management and have a piece of land with forest. We regularly used to find deer dead or dying, well you could usually smell them first with arrows embedded in them.

Our studies showed that it was virtually impossible to kille a large animal clean and quick with an arrow. Some of the deer took weeks to die in agony and it was an absolute disgrace. it turned many that were accepting of the hunting community against hunters in general.

I am very glad that this neandethalic practise is illegal here. It makes me wonder about the ethics of nations that still tolerate it.

• Arrow Head
  • Arrow Head

Ryan Campbell
Ryan Campbell
Ryan Campbell writes about Ryan Campbell writes about

LIGHTNING

glazlad,

Oh my you can open a serious can of worms here but I agree with you.

There is a major difference between shooting targets with a bow and shooting something with a heartbeat.

The Hunt goes on forever, the season never ends. http://www.hossfly.com 979 777 1725

wohalliburton
wohalliburton
wohalliburton writes about wohalliburton writes about wohalliburton writes about wohalliburton writes about wohalliburton writes about wohalliburton writes about wohalliburton writes about wohalliburton writes about wohalliburton writes about wohalliburton writes about

glazlad,

While I appreciate that you have an opinion on bowhunting, and THF welcomes the constructive expression of different opinions, please be thoughtful that there are many on this board that strongly disagree with you. 

Also, please don't be so quick to rush to judgment on this subject of ethics in our country.  That knife cuts both ways.  I, for one, question the ethics of fox hunting in the UK, where hunters often release dogs to chase a fox until its exhausted, then tear it apart...alive.  As well, if I understand UK law correctly, you've all but made firearms illegal over there.  Here, we think its ethical to act responsibly and protect our families from armed criminals.  And, for now, we have a 2nd Amendment to our Constitution that gives us the right to do so.

If you want to discuss some issues you have with what we do over here, great.  But lets leave off the inflammatory labels.  On the other hand, let's hope you're not an animal rights enthusiast looking to pick a fight either.

wheeless621
wheeless621
wheeless621 writes about wheeless621 writes about wheeless621 writes about wheeless621 writes about wheeless621 writes about wheeless621 writes about wheeless621 writes about
Brown county

"It makes me wonder about the ethics of nations that still tolerate it."

David, the last sentence gives it all away. He leads you right up to it with his little story then BAM.... an Anti-American statement. A blanket statement judging an entire nations ethics and standards based on one minute aspect of American life. Which is simply what this is. It was just another avenue for an anti-American forum-troll to get in his jab to see what kind of hornets nest he can stir up.

Guns don't kill people....Its those pesky little bullets making lots of holes that all the blood leaks out of.

TexAr
TexAr
TexAr writes about TexAr writes about TexAr writes about
Bowie county

HAPPY

I agree that this story is a little off. But by all means I believe a deer could take a hit like this and survive, that is until infection got him. Last year my friend killed a nice buck in the Sulpher River bottoms that had scares on both sides of his body and smelled to high heaven.

When they cut him open he still had an aluminum arrow shaft in him that had broken off both ends and healed over. IMO Whitetail Deer are the ultimate survivalists.

I am in total agreement with David and Dana.....TROLL ALERT!!

huntin-ninjr
huntin-ninjr
huntin-ninjr writes about
Cass county

HEART_BROKEN

glaz lad

sounds like to me that hunters in Europe just suck at hunting thus the strict gun laws and the use of dogs. Why I bet as you were typing your statements above your stomach was growling for red meat. Accidents do happen but If You can't hit where your aiming well then your just taking up places I could be hunting.

TexBowHunt2

TexBowHunt2 writes about

I can't say this for every shot, but I have shot a walking deer with a complete pass through that never flinched, changed it's stride or gave any indication it was hit. It walked 50 yards and dropped over dead like it never felt a bit of pain. It had me grabbing for another arrow because I thought I missed it. A well placed arrow is just as much, if not more human than any bullet. 

Anyone can find something negative about anything. Those that choose to bash hunting does not understand that God gave us these animals for our use.  There not much use if you don't kill and eat them.

I'll say this, when I make a bad shot, and I have, I feel pretty bad about and wish I would have never taken it.  It may take me a few days to move on but I always do.

issis

issis writes about

The story and photographs illustrate why hunting - especially bow hunting - is detested by humane individuals.  To see overgrown boys grinning ear to ear while holding a deer pierced with arrows is beyond the comprehension of most people.  My friend has just found a small doe on her land pierced with an arrow but still alive. As glazlad notes, it is all too common to find dead and dying deer, who have suffered from wounds and infections, sometimes for very long periods. As for deer not acting as if they are in pain. Anyone who takes the time to learn about, rather then simply seek to destroy animals, would know that prey animals cannot afford to telescope pain and disability. Read Grandin's "Animals in Translation"... or any other thoughtful studies on the subject.  To call hunting "sport" is a joke of the first order.  Maiming and killing sentient creatures is inhumane by definition. Labeling it "sport" does not change that fact. And no I do not crave "red" / bloody meat. As soon as I became aware of the cruelty inherent in virtually all commercial animal "production", transport and slaughter, it was easy to give up all meat, poultry, pork, lamb, etc.  

wohalliburton
wohalliburton
wohalliburton writes about wohalliburton writes about wohalliburton writes about wohalliburton writes about wohalliburton writes about wohalliburton writes about wohalliburton writes about wohalliburton writes about wohalliburton writes about wohalliburton writes about

issis,

If hunting's not what you want to do, fine.  But, let's get real here...no hunter I've met in 35 years of hunting wants to see an animal suffer.

And, let's not believe the standard PETA story line and think your opinion is the equivalent of some sort of moral high ground either.  Have you ever seen a deer starve?  That's not pretty.  And, if left to themselves without predation, a significant number of them would do exactly that every year because there's usually not enough food for all deer to survive the winter.  In my opinion the use of a rifle bullet, and making good use of the meat, is a much more 'humane' alternative to living with my head stuck in the sand thinking that 'nature' will somehow work it all out.  The other alternative to starvation, being eaten by a cougar or a coyote alive, isn't necessary very 'humane' either (using your description).  Have you ever seen the deer that do get away?  Look at the clip of a severely-injured buck in the post "Deer Fght Interrupted by a Bullet" at this site, here

Death is part of our natural world, so don't live in this imaginary fairy tale land that WWF, HSUS, and their ilk want to paint for you.  Being humane ultimately boils down to conservation and stewardship of what we have been given, and those who really care about it. 

Forums >> Texas Hunting >> Texas Deer Hunting >> Arrow Head

Forums Statistics:

• There are 27889 registered site users.
  • There are currently -32 active users on the site.
  • There are currently 0 registered users that active are on the site (and signed in).
  • There are currently -1 active users in the Forums.

Welcome to the newest registered users: Retired Army Guy Ttugrad2000 neternakon zatty

Google Adsense 728x90 Leaderboard

Explore Forums Through Common Keywords:

buy lake priority county www.tpwd.state.tx.us public shrimp brush traps hunters deer shoot yellow land game redfish hunting hog hogs soft striped nightcrawlers topwaters minnows blue season recreational gun fishboat hunt wildlife shooting call dove ranch family bass shot first turkey buck crappie hunter lakes outdoors shad spinnerbaits bucks trout rifle channel locked jigs lease wild texas cut bow catfish target striper hunts south plastics slabs fishing bait crankbaits fish points worms rigs